Sunday, March 24, 2013

Natalie: Review of the Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde


The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1)

In the good old days, magic was indispensable—it could both save a kingdom and clear a clogged drain. But now magic is fading: drain cleaner is cheaper than a spell, and magic carpets are used for pizza delivery. Fifteen-year-old foundling Jennifer Strange runs Kazam, an employment agency for magicians—but it’s hard to stay in business when magic is drying up. And then the visions start, predicting the death of the world’s last dragon at the hands of an unnamed Dragonslayer. If the visions are true, everything will change for Kazam—and for Jennifer. Because something is coming. Something known as . . . Big Magic.

I'm going to be honest, I could tell that something was different about this book right from the beginning. It was a wonderful story, but I could not figure out for the life of me why it reminded me so much of the books that I read when I was younger. Was it the fantastical air? The realistic characters? The exciting plot? Then it dawned on me.

This book was fun.

Now don't get me wrong: I read a lot of good books and enjoy reading most of them, but they all carry some common, rather depressing aspects that you see a lot in young adult literature.

1. Love triangles.
2. Angst-ridden teenage girls.
3. Death of a family member/best friend.
4. Cussing.

All of these things are very prevalent in YA novels. But not this one. This is the first book I have read in a long time that was just plain fun.

Even with the enjoyable story line and prominent lack of overall gloom, The Last Dragonslayer still managed to be an upper level read. And definitely belongs in the Young Adult section.

I have started categorizing this book as mature fantasy. Not mature in content, but writing style. The vocabulary & subtle, smart humor, as well as a steady, comprehensible plot is what makes it different than children fantasy or even other YA fantasy books.

The characters were an absolute joy to read about.

The main character, Jennifer Strange, has a rather sophisticated, grown-up demeanor for a sixteen-year-old.  Perhaps that is because The Kazan magical employment office literally rests on her shoulders. And now, so does the life of the last dragon. As she is destined to be the Last Dragonslayer.

With the help of her new twelve-year-old assistant Tiger, her trusty Quark Beast, and a little bit of magic Jennifer must;
1. Dodge marriage proposals, the local police, and all of the companies that want to sponsor her.
2. Manage to persuade two kingdoms not to slaughter each other.
3. Save the last living dragon from a horrible death.
4. Convince the hundreds of thousands of people to stop being greedy, selfish jerks.
5. And replenish the magic supply so that she will still be employed when all of this is over.

All in the couse of one week.

Overall, a riveting, beautiful book that reminded me of a simpler time when all books had happy endings.

My rating:
 
five out of five stars






2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's worth reading! I'm still trying to finish my book "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. It's good, but I'm ready to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked it. That one looks...interesting. And mildly scary.

    ReplyDelete