Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Tehreem: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

 

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.
 

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


After reading so many reviews for this book, I can quite honestly say I was prepared for the worst. I think the reason it earned a three star rating was because my expectations were so low. If I had been expecting a five star read that blew my mind, I would have burned this book.

The book follows a teenage boy in the town of Gatlin. And yes, you guessed it, he falls in love with the witch - oh sorry, Caster.

In the process of falling in love, he realizes how terrible his friends are. So, he (finally) stands up to his friends when they try to torment his future girlfriend. He would sacrifice everything to be with the hot new girl he almost killed.

Twice.

I'm not even kidding.

Not only is the romance cliche, it's also love at first sight. Well, love before first sight. The book explains it all.

Did I mention that the male lead, Ethan, believes that the female lead, Lena, is his life now? Anything concerning her automatically concerns him. Even family stuff. When she wants space, he bothers the heck out of her.

That boy is crazy.

In case you couldn't tell, I don't really care for the characters. I felt like tearing my hair out - they were just so irksome!

Now, the main plot was pretty good, pretty cheesy. Basically, Lena is not able to choose whether or not she becomes a Dark Caster. Literally, the choice is beyond her. When her 16th birthday comes to pass, she will either become light or dark.

Did I say that the fate of the town basically relies on her remaining light?

Oh, and there is something evil lurking in the shadows - watching, and waiting...

ANYWAYS, the book was over all a decent read. I will say, it wasn't all that good, but it was quite enjoyable. Although, I do have one other complaint. Two things in the end made me feel led on.

Read and see for yourself.


My rating:
Two and a Half out of Five Stars!!
However, since there is no photo of 2.5 stars, I will just post a photo of three stars. :]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment